The Belgian development Cooperation has a close partnership with the Palestinian Authority since May 2000. The General Agreement was signed in Ramallah on 12 November 2001.
The fourth Indicative Cooperation Programme (ICP) for Governmental aid was signed on the 23th of November 2011. The programme goes from 1/1/2012 till 31/12/2015. The total aid program amounts to 71,6 million EUR for the 4-year period, and includes delegated cooperation with the EU (Pegase), UNHABITAT (East Jerusalem), UNDP (environment strategies) and the World Bank (water and sanitation). The priority sectors are Education and Local Governance.
Beyond the bilateral aid program some supplementary contributions are also attributed to:
- U.N. Relief and Works Agency for Palestinian Refugees (UNRWA): an important yearly Belgian contribution of about 8 to 10 million EUR
- U.N. emergency and food aid via World food Program and FAO.
- Emergency funds via Belgian NGO’s
- Programs with Belgian NGO’s, universities and civil partner organisations
- Local Palestinian civil society organisations
- Conflict prevention and security (mainly EUPOL COPPS)
- Aid from Belgian regions, communities and decentralised entities.
With a yearly global aid disbursement of about 30 million EUR, Palestine ranks fourth on the list of Belgian partner countries (after DR Congo, Rwanda and Burundi).